Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries

I've never been too keen on sweet potatoes, especially the pie.  I've avoided this root since I was a child.  A few years ago at a vegetarian Thai restaurant I had my first encounter with these bad boys and have been slowly coming around to eating them more and more.  The farmers at the State Market have a several varieties of sweet potatoes and at ridiculously competitive prices (2-3 bucks for like 2 big potatoes).  Beyond being way better for you than white potato varieties, they taste better too.
 

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2-3 Sweet Potatoes (any variety)
1/4 cup Veggie Oil
1-2 tablespoons of Salt and Pepper -to taste
Dash of Paprika -to taste
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 425-450 degrees
Cut the sweet potatoes in 1/2 or so strips.  They are difficult to cut raw so please be careful. Toss strips with the oil and season with spices.  Handy tip:  Place strips in zip lock baggy with oil and spices for easy coating. 
Place on baking sheet and bake for approx 30 minutes, flip every 10-15 minutes, until crispy or desired doneness.
Serve hot.  I like mine with ketchup and/or ranch.


No comments:

Post a Comment